For the Family
North Shore Scenic Railroad Pumpkin Patch Express is available today through Sunday, The Depot, 506 W. Michigan St. Five trains depart to take passengers to the Railroad’s Secret Pumpkin Patch where riders can pick out their favorite pumpkin to take home. Tickets: $20 for adults, $18 for children. Call (218) 722-1273 for reservations.
“Captain Underpants: The Epic Adventure” screens at 4 p.m. today, Duluth Public Library, green room, 520 W. Superior St. Crafts, games, trivia and costume contest begins at 2 p.m. Children under age 8 must be accompanied by an adult. Go to DuluthLibrary.org.
Library Trick-or-treat from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Superior Public Library, 1530 Tower Ave. Free. Call (715) 394-8867.
Don’t miss Boo at the Zoo, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St. Features pumpkin patch, games, contests and hayrides. Admission: $9 in advance, $10 at door. Go to LSZooDuluth.org or find tickets at Super One Foods stores.
Hallo-Wee-Ones Movie & Treat Day, 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Zeitgeist, 222 E. Superior St. Features crafts, healthy treats from Whole Foods Coop and Halloween film special including “Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest” and “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” Free. Call (218) 336-1368.
Boo Bash ice skating party, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Essentia Health Duluth Heritage Sports Center, 120 S. 30th Ave. W. Costume contest, live DJ music and light show, face painting, haunted locker rooms, activities and treats. Bring a nonperishable food item to donate. Call (218) 730-4322. Open skating also offered from 1:30-3:30 p.m. today.
For the Learner
Attend “The U.S. in Word War I” with Fred Freidman, 1 p.m. Saturday, Carlton County Historical Society, 406 Cloquet Ave., Cloquet. Admission: $3 for adults, $1 for ages 5-11 and free for younger children and members. Call (218) 879-1938.
Sign up for Pumpkin Magic with Kay Turk, 6 p.m. Thursday, The Blue Heron Trading Co., 394 S. Lake Ave. Recipes include Pumpkin pie sangria, pumpkin French toast casserole, pumpkin soup with ham and Swiss chard, pumpkin chili, black bean and pumpkin mexican lasagna and pumpkin sticky toffee pudding. Cost: $30. Call (218) 722-8799 for required registration.
For the Adults
Make your reservations for Fairlawn Superstition Flashlight Tour, 7-9 p.m. Oct. 27-28, 906 E. Second St., Superior. Bring your own beverage (no red wine) for the cheese and cracker reception and then explore the mansion with paranormal investigator Scott Kenner. Tickets: $20 or two for $35. Participants must be age 21 and older. Call (715) 394-8191 or go to cvent.com/d/7tqjrr to register. Hosted by UWS’ Center for Continuing Education and Fairlawn Mansion.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans’ Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through Oct. 31 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 1 to April 30. Visit lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.
• Lake Superior & Mississippi Historic River Train fall color rides, 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Saturdays as well as 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 22, 7100 Grand Ave. Tickets available at lsmrr.org. Call (218) 624-7549 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.